Southport Pleasureland owner Norman Wallis: £37.5 Town Deal is ‘catalyst needed’ to ensure town’s future success

Southport Pleasureland owner Norman Wallis
Share:

·         The Chancellor has announced £37.5m for Southport under the Town Deal Fund. The coastal resort is one of a number of communities to benefit from the funding announced in this year’s budget.

 

·         Central to the multi-million-pound Town Deal bid was the ambition to create a new waterside event centre to replace Southport Theatre, which closed in March last year when the operator entered liquidation.

 

·         The Town Deal will also see the construction of an exciting new water and light show to animate the Marine Lake; public realm improvements between Southport Train Station and the Marine Lake; and the creation of new business incubator and co-working spaces for hundreds of people in Southport town centre.

·         Southport Pleasureland owner Norman Wallis praises town MP after news of ‘wonderful achievement for Southport’The £37.5million Town Deal funding for Southport is “the catalyst needed” to ensure the town’s future success.

Norman Wallis, the owner of Southport Pleasureland, is part of the Town Deal board which was successful in gaining multi-million pound Government investment through the Budget on Wednesday (3 March).

Mr Wallis, who is the CEO of Universal Rides Limited, has exciting plans for his park.

He is aiming to transform Southport Pleasureland into an all-weather, all-year round attraction that will attract millions of additional visitors into Southport each year.

He believes the successful Town Deal funding will provide a huge boost to the whole resort helping to create new jobs and attract further private investment.

Mr Wallis said: “This is absolutely fabulous news for Southport and is the catalyst needed to help ensure the future success of our wonderful town for many generations to come.

“I was very pleased to have been part of the Town Deal Board, and for Southport Pleasureland to have played a major part in this successful bid.

“The whole board worked as a cohesive unit to deliver the submission.

“Local MP Damien Moore’s contribution has certainly helped to gain this wonderful achievement for the town of Southport.

“All too often Sefton Council are criticised for what they could or should have done, but this is a marvellous example of how they have pulled the team and the bid together to get this fantastic result for Southport, in particular Stephen Watson and Stuart Barnes whose tireless contributions helped ensure the success of this project.”

Chancellor of the Exchequer Rishi Sunak announced the sum for Southport after backing the town’s impressive Town Deal submission for funding.

Details of exactly how the money will now be spent will be revealed over the course of 2021.

Central to the bid was a new waterside events centre after Southport Theatre & Convention Centre closed last year, along with other schemes including a new light and water show in the Marine Lake and new incubator and co-working space for businesses.

Southport MP Damien Moore said: “This funding is an opportunity to present a vision not only of what we want for Southport now, but where we want to be in the future. This has always been my goal, to deliver a locally driven, joined-up package for Southport.

“I have repeatedly made the case for sustained investment in our town, both to Sefton Council and to central Government - investment attached to a long-term vision. That case was made much easier by the creation of the Southport Town board, without which this bid would not have been possible, and a Conservative MP working with a Conservative Government.”